Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Skinny Rant

Yep, its true. I am skinny. I've always been skinny and judging by genetics and my lifestyle, I will always continue to BE skinny. So, what does this mean? How does it affect others around me? Well, let me tell you........

IT SHOULD NOT.

Everyone, no matter what walk of life they come from, feel it necessary to categorize the people they meet by reactions or secret opinions. Its stereo-typing and to be politically correct, its wrong, but to be human, its impossible NOT to do. But as respectful people, its nothing to make the biggest deal in the world about. Why is it some stranger's concern whether or not my BMI is "average" and I weigh a certain number? Why must we all sit back and critique actresses who happen to be skinny as well? I am by no means saying that those people don't have problems, but by telling them and practically making it newsworthy to see a rib cage on someone isn't going to help. That I can tell you with experience behind the words. By calling it a flaw, something that needs attention in the worst way, ugly, is shameful. People are born with a metabolism they can't control, and being one of them, I feel their prose 24/7. I also feel the prose of those who have an eating disorder....because I do, too. That never stemmed from my body in the way many people have it, but because of my obsession for dance and its limitations on weight and growth outward. Its not something I like to discuss, but in this case, I make an exception. My weight has always been low, but I have never been at risk because I was just skinny. Keeping myself that way on purpose, yes, but just because, never. My heart is fine, my lungs are fine, my brain is amazing. Its hard to shop for things that fit just right, but who doesn't have that problem? My point is that being skinny is not bad. Making a big deal over someone's genetics is. So get over whatever it is that makes you want to gasp when you see someone like me take off my coat or top layer to what I'm wearing, or if you see my shoulder blades or a rib when I wear a bikini. Its going to show and unless I'm pregnant or really old and feeble, nothing will change.

..........end of rant.

No comments: