Thursday, July 01, 2010

The 1920's

All my life I have known I was meant for another era. My body isn't popular for this time period and one day when I was younger I saw musicals based on The Roaring '20's and I saw women who looked like me! They were long, flat and leggy, but at the same time beautiful in more simplistic lines. Lace was popular and so was Satin. Gorgeous make-up was caked, and I mean caked, on but it was perfect for the fairest in face. The hair! Oh I loved the hair that was cut to go under the cloche hats and I've always been a hat person. From the ones my mom bought me to wear on Easter, to "Blossom" hats, to baseball caps, to fedoras and derbies...they just don't get old. And of course, the music and DANCING!!!!!!!!!! So full of melodies and beautiful words like Gershwin wrote. Everyone started dancing whenever they went out without a care. I have always like to think I dance for enjoyment and not because I had to. I never look at it as having to anyway. The style of the decade is such a symbol for life in that everyone was more carefree and said "Whatever happens, happens!" and that even after such a desperate time as WW1 you can pick yourself up and continue on. I love it.

No comments: